Thursday, January 19, 2023

OKC Memories: Shadows on the Starwinds

 

This here's a brief mention of an OKC "lifestyle" store which I encountered as a student at Oklahoma City University in the mid-1970s.  It was on N Classen Blvd, called "House of Shadows."  While I appreciated its selection of blacklight posters, candles, and such, I didn't much like the sorta negative vibe implied by its name.

Sometime around 1980 it rebranded as "Starwind," and widened its selection to cover a lot of New -Agey topics like UFOs and Bigfoot.  I bought a few books and cassettes of music I'd heard on Music from the Hearts of Space on KCSC.

The above receipt from 1992 was for Michael Sterns's majestic cassette Encounter.
Here's from when I bought Jerome Clark's Unexplained! and a couple of other things.

Do you have any memories of Starwind?  I believe it closed in the mid-1990s.

See you Monday!
  

3 comments:

  1. I visited once while I was home on break from college. I bought a book called "The Celtic Dragon Myth," and the pages smelled of incense for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like, that's so cosmic, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:15 PM

    I would buy incense & unique jewelry with crystals. My son (now 39) loved Starwind, too. When he was little, I bought him a Pyramid Candle with charms & such inside. I hunted down a similar one on Amazon this year for a sentimental Christmas gift. One memorable thing to me was the display they had for a while, with a mannequin in a tub filled with glass ornament bubbles.

    ReplyDelete

All original content
copyright
© by Mark Alfred