Monday, May 18, 2009

Stuck in the Dealer's Room with Me (apologies to Stealer's Wheel)


















At BabelCon '81, as in many cons, I sold stuff in the Dealers' Room. At '81, I shared my table with my friend Ed Porter, who can be seen in his Battlestar Galactica Colonial Warrior outfit.
















Many times I'd wear a Trek costume, and as you can see, I wasn't the only one.

The gal with the bagpipe and also in the STTMP Engineering outfit was named called Sunny, if I recall. She could actually PLAY that thing.
At a Saturday night room party where I was present with Sunny, writer C J Cherryh, Jimmy Doohan, and others, she had her bagpipe (in its case) and Mr D agreed to autograph it for her. Now, as I said last week, this was before STII's release, and SOMETHING was in the wind as far as "a big thing happening" in the movie, but we didn't know what.
Mr D wouldn't tell us anything either, but he DID write on Sunny's bagpipe case, along with his name, the words "a sombre tone," which meant a lot more after we saw STII and knew Spock had snuffed it, joined the choir eternal, was an ex-Vulcan.










As is apparent, on Saturday morning I shaved off my mustache, the better to wear Vulcan eyebrows and ears for the Saturday evening Costume Contest.
Am I the only would-be Vulcan to actually trim his eyebrows and glue on the clippings to make the Vulcan angled eyebrow?

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo152/MarkAAlfred/Blog%20Trek/BabelCon81DealerSmile.jpg

Sometimes, gals just came by to say hi and have their picture taken. No problems with that!
Starting tomorrow: Did somebody say McDonald's STAR TREK Meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All original content
copyright
© by Mark Alfred