Thursday, September 19, 2024

Okie Fanboy Makes It Big!

E Nelson Bridwell, born in Sapulpa (pronounced Sap-a-LOOP-a by Mazeppa), in his youth wrote lots of letters to comics from EC horror/sci-fi to Katie Keene. From such inauspicious beginnings he became a writer for DC and MAD magazine, and was known as the continuity maven of DC.  For the Legion of Super-Heroes he created the White Witch and RJ Brande.  He edited letter pages and specials for DC.

This tribute is from Amazing Heroes #114, cover-dated April 1, 1987.
Regarding the illo above, I as a kid I heard the punchline as "What you mean WE, white man?"



Elsewhere I read that Captain Metropolis of Watchmen received part of his name from ENB.  "Nelson Gardner" was assembled from ENB's name and that of Gardner Fox, creator of Hawkman and Silver Age Flash scribe.

Ah, the past glories of those silly "kid" comics!  I wish I could've had many comics-kid convos with ENB!

See you Monday, my fellow super-wannabes!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

All original content
copyright
© by Mark Alfred