Monday, November 20, 2023

Mysteries Above and Below!

Here are some more book covers from my library, all tomes about things some of us wonder about (besides girls).
In January I reread this intriguing bit of "can you explain that?".  Sanderson lays out a lot of things observed in and under the watery kingdom, which bespeak either an organizing mind, or a category of self-organization PLUS obscurity on the part of Nature which we haven't acknowledged yet.
The above 1976 tome is in parts fass-kinn-ate-in' (as Popeye would say) and so, so dreary.  Smith goes to soporific length in quoting long prose bits regarding visits to vast underground places, usually in South America.  But only 10% of such wordage really applies to a useful description about these subterranean realms.

The topics on the cover finally get around to being discussed, but this Zebra paperback would benefit from a radical diet to about 50% of its body weight.
This 1977 Berkley paperback is full of breathless speculation about the supposed disappearances of nearly everybody but you and me.  And I'm not so sure about you, podner.  After awhile, even the most jaded of us gets tired of "could it be ... ?" and "perhaps ...?" and the like.

Well, it may be a mystery to you why I accumulate these things.  It's just one part of a brain which, like ole Sherlock Holmes, craves stimulation.  As decades have passed, however, I've come to realize how much I will never know.  And I've decided to weed out some of the clutter, like some books which pose few helpful explications.  (The Sanderson book is the most fun and absorbing of the lot.  I'm gonna hang onto it for another decade or two.)

See you Thursday, fellow mysterions!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

All original content
copyright
© by Mark Alfred