Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Wonderful Birthday Memory



On September 30, 1966, I turned 10 years old.

I was a huge fan of TV spies, specifically The Man (and Girl) from U.N.C.L.E. .

So when my birthday that year was on a Friday, the same night of the week that Man from U.N.C.L.E. was on TV, my wonderful mother had an inspiration.

I'd have an U.N.C.L.E. birthday party!

We had about six kids over (all boys, of course) and we tore up the house and ran around outside playing spies.  I remember one guy ran too close to the rose bush on the side of the house and nearly scratched his eye.

And, of course, at 7:30PM we watched the episode scheduled, "The Galatea Affair."
Here is the invitation Mom made and sent out. The invites were made of black construction paper. The U.N.C.L.E. logo was drawn by Mom in WHITE INK on the front.

She carefully typed the interior message with REVERSED CARBON PAPER so that you would have to hold it up to a mirror to read it.

I love my mom!


PS see you October 1st for BLOG-O-WEEN!

1 comment:

  1. Webbthistle4:16 PM

    Wow! Yes! Your Mom was indeed way cool for the 60s. What a great party!!!

    And happy birthday in 2010!

    ReplyDelete

All original content
copyright
© by Mark Alfred