Monday, June 08, 2015

More Baffling Mysteries Run Through a Baffler

 This paperback came out in 1978.  I figure the UFOs must be pretty incompetent if they've had us under siege for over 35 years and haven't taken us out yet!

These are treasured books from my childhood, because I came across Strangest of All at the age of eight or so and gobbled up its dramatically written vignettes of wild-n-wacky things.

Note that Strangest of All has an attention-grabbing 1960s cover style, while the present edition of Strange World was obviously designed in the Chariots of the Gods? school.

At a later age I learned that Frank Edwards was a radio commentator.  Still later I learned that caveat lector applies to most everything you read.  And ultimately I came to be thankful for things like these breathless tales of "what if?".  They are really valuable to the world when they stimulate a little wonder in somebody whose philosophical horizons are narrower that they should be.  (This statement applies to more and more of the people I meet, the older I get!)



Ol' Brad Steiger is a special case of cranker-outer of mysteries.  He's kind of like the kid on the playground who tells you that if you cut open a gold ball, the stuff in the middle will eat its way through to the center of the earth.  No, he hasn't seen it, he heard it was true from one of the older kids.

And did you hear that if you go all the way around on a swingset, swinging over the top, that you'll turn inside out?  I heard somebody say it so it must be true!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

All original content
copyright
© by Mark Alfred