Monday, March 26, 2007

G. Ailaird S. Artain, We Need You!

Yes, in the early 1970s there arose a character so silly, a personage so outre, that he dared not even place his actual name in the credits of his cult-status TV show on late-night Tulsa TV.





That critter was the incredible Dr. Mazeppa Pompazoidi, and here are a few fragments from the archives of his 5-year reign.






Young people wanted to dress like him!




He popularized 7Up, "the uncola," with discount-earning membership in "Mazeppa's Uncola Underground Card."


He even dressed in tights as his alter ego, Jetzeppa Landingear.
Google "Mazeppa Pompazoidi" and find out for yourself.

2 comments:


  1. Sunday October 19,2019

    Hi My name is john i'm 56yrs old and I grew up in Tulsa and
    Inola where I went to High School. I consider myself a native tulsan.

    I Just found your web blog and have a question
    your Jetzeppa landinggear picture what exactly
    is it?v Is it a poster store display or a picture?
    Earlier this summer I found and bought a original Jetzeppa
    landinggear poster at the Tulsa Flea Market at the Fairgrounds
    in good shape for $75. The only Mazeppa posters I new existed were
    The Black and White Tulsa State Fair Poster, The color join the
    Mazeppa 7up Uncola underground one, and the Jetzeppa landinggear one.

    johnnricjardziegler@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, your email address could not receive my reply. Here it is:
    Hi John,
    My Jetzeppa Landingear poster is printed on heavy posterboard. It’s a single flat sheet. The image is in pieces because the thing is too big to fit on my scanner in one piece.
    The poster was part of a 7-Up display, and I asked if I could have it. That’s all I remember.
    My guess is the store was Ray’s Thrif-T-Wise, where my mom shopped. It’s long gone now.
    That’s all the info I have! Happy Halloween time,

    ReplyDelete

All original content
copyright
© by Mark Alfred