I
had my doubts about this book from the first few pages. Another emotionally damaged first-person
narrator, yawn! It might be a
generational thing, but I am very tired of this device.
Read
the book flap. My disbelief started
there. Reading inside, I learned that
the amnesic people wandered FOR MILES before being found with that human hair
tied around their tongue.
Oh,
come on! That’s so patently
improbable! Think about it, dear
reader. Haven’t YOU ever found yourself
with a hair caught in your mouth? Maybe
off a brush or your hand or a towel or something? Tell me:
are you likely to go around for hours with that thing in your mouth driving
you crazy? NO!
Much
less somebody drugged or incoherent! The
first thing they would do upon regaining control of their body would be to get
that irritating thing out of their mouth!
Another
thing that rings my improbability bell is the oh-so-disturbed narrator, who is
described on nearly every page as having interruptions in his reality and being
unable to distinguish memories from present-day life.
This
person—THIS person, I say—is going to be accepted into active military duty, or
allowed to pack heat for the FBI? Even
AFTER evidence of such dislocation from reality is displayed to other
characters? UHH-UHH.
No comments:
Post a Comment